Monday, November 7, 2011

Rustic Pizza Night

There is nothing better than a homemade pizza. The crispy crust, the sauce from scratch and hand picked toppings, will make you want to stay in rather than go out, for a slice of pie. Until I get my wood burning stove from Italy, (ha, ha, dream on) this homemade dough recipe is the next best thing. It's actually Wolfgang-Puck's pizza dough recipe. We cook the pizza on a pizza stone to make the crust nice and crispy. For the sauce I use a Classic Marinara. Add your on toppings and cheese and you are ready for some fantastic pizza. Enjoy!

  
Classic Marinara:
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3-4 large garlic cloves
1 Tbs tomato paste
1 can (35oz) whole italian tomatoes with juice (San Marzano) crushed with your hands
1 pinch sugar
2 sprigs fresh basil
salt and pepper to taste
In a saucepan, heat oil. Add garlic and cook over medium heat, until garlic is golden. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add canned tomatoes, stir in sugar, basil and salt/pepper. Bring to a boil. Simmer sauce over low heat for 30 minutes.

4 comments:

  1. Yummy! I bet it would be fun to make, as well. I am so quick to just order pizza and have it delivered. A homemade pizza is soooo much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy - They are fun to make. I'm still working on my dough making skills and rolling out the pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great! I'll have to try that recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda - It is a fun activity. The dough recipe actually makes 2 pizzas, so we usually have leftovers. YEA!!

    ReplyDelete