Thursday, February 7, 2013

Construction begins on Wren's nest

Last year I put up some Spring floral wreaths on our front door the day after Valentine's day. I thought it might be a little early for Spring wreaths on the front door, however the Wrens were thrilled and immediately started building their nest. This year it seems so early to put up the Spring wreaths seeing as it is just the beginning of February. Since the weather has been so wacky with temps in the mid 70's, I decided to put the wreaths out. Sure enough the Wrens started construction right away. I knew they were looking for places to nest since my husband found them flying around the garage and checking out the Christmas wreaths. I guess I would rather have them nest on the front door then in the garage. 

Here is a look at the nest they constructed last year:



They love to use the peat moss I have in my orchid pots. They did such an excellent job building this nest that another family of Wrens moved in right after the first fledglings took flight. The construction site can be a bit messy, and we will not be able to come and go through the front door for a while, but it will be well worth it when the baby wrens are born.

8 comments:

  1. Oh Steph this is just precious!! What a nice little nest they made! I hope you show the new nest once they've finished it! By the way, that's a really pretty wreath!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christy. I think the nest does add something special to the wreath and it definitely gives it a touch of Spring.

      Delete
  2. Aw ... that is the sweetest thing ever. And what a compliment to your wreath selection :) Can't wait to see your photos of the babies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cat, I heard them working on the nest today. Apparently they like to sing while they work:)

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful home for them! They must be as ready for spring as we are! So nice of you to let them stay, and go out of your way to not use the door for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look cute in the wreath. I've seen so many signs of Spring around town. The Wrens nesting is just another sign. The nesting place is not so much an inconvenience, I just have to remind my guests not to use the front door:)

      Delete
  4. That is so neat!! When I lived in Houston I had three houses in the back that were occupied every year and I loved watching them and the babies grow up. Here there are a lot of kitties running around so I haven't encouraged it in the back. Didn't feel it was right.... That is so cute though that they build the nests on your door- I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Stephanie,

    We are currently working on a garden video series and I'm very interested in your garden. Could you contact me to discuss? Thanks!

    Tamara

    ReplyDelete