Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Liven up a Lentil Salad

I'm continuing on my summer salad theme with a Lentil salad. Lentils are very versatile. You can serve them warm by adding them to soups or serving them under a nice piece of fish like Halibut. They can also make a great side dish or just a meal in themselves. They are high in iron, folate and fiber. 

The key to this likable legume is not to over cook it. You want the texture to be al dente. 

I like to add fresh herbs, like parsley and dill to my salad. I also toss in some raw radishes, black olives, green onion and a bell pepper. The dressing is easy... It is a simple balsamic and olive oil vinaigrette.

You can learn more about lentils here.

Lentil Salad Recipe:

1 cup Lentils, washed and cooked according to the directions on the package 
1/2 cup radishes, chopped
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
2 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted or 1/4 cup capers
1 bell pepper (red or green), chopped
3/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Cook lentils and let them cool. Combine lentils with remaining ingredients. 


 

4 comments:

  1. Nice to meet another TX blogger! That sounds really good. I never know what to add to fish to spice it up a bit. I will have to give that a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOo, could you post the recipe?? Looks delicious and I LOVE capers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy - Thank you for stopping by. I've enjoyed reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Curious Holts - As you know, most of the time I don't follow recipes, but I will give it my best shot. Just remember you can always adjust the measurements and ingredients to your liking.

    ReplyDelete