Friday, September 16, 2011

Hummerpalooza

Rockport-Fulton Hummerbird Festival 2010









I want to start this post by saying that I'm very grateful for the rain we got last night. I also want to say that the large white drops in the photo are not bird excrement, but large rain drops. Just wanted to clear the air so to speak.

Last year I attended the Rockport-Fulton Hummerbird Festival. I watched in amazement as these little birds fueled up with a fervor for their big journey.

If you've never been to the festival, it is definitely worth checking out. There are speaker programs and a hummingbird mall. Of course,  if you want to see the actual hummers, you have to go out to the hummingbird stations. These feeding stations attract lots of birds, but the best bang for your buck is the banding station. This station has numerous feeders filled with sweet nectar to lure in the birds. 

The festival is this weekend if you want to check it out. To get more information click here. 

It is difficult to see in the video, but the hummers were swarming like bees.







5 comments:

  1. You got rain!?!?!? That's great! Wish we had gotten some. Clouds...no rain..yet.
    It's so fun to watch the Hummers at the feeders. Especially, if they'll share. Ours here just want to fight with one another.
    Have a good weekend.
    Stay safe....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda - Yes. It was wonderful...Now if we could just get some more.

    The Hummingbird Festival was a lot of fun. I've never seen so many birds at once.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have been getting rain north of Rockport! I had to be happy taking photos of my son and his girlfriend indoors because of the rain, but I won't complain! I went to the Hummer/Bird celebration several years ago. I LOVED watching the banding!
    Blessings,
    Lorilee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lorilee - I'm so glad you guys got some rain. We actually got two decent showers today.

    Thank you for the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, the video of the hummers on the website was amazing!!! I'm always so excited to see hummingbirds visit my garden :-) The Turk's Cap and Salvia greggii are always waiting for them.

    ReplyDelete