Sunday, October 7, 2012

I see Red



When I added a couple of plants to the garden this fall I realized that most of them had red blooms or berries.
I prefer cooler colors like pink and blues, however lately I seem to be trending towards red. Maybe because it is the color hummingbirds prefer. 

Pigeonberry

This pigeonberry plant was added in a shady spot in our garden. Love the bright and shiny red berries. The birds had picked off all the berries within 24 hours of planting it. At first I was disappointed, however my husband pointed out that was the reason I picked this plant in the first place. Point taken!

Pigeonberry

This plant is very hardy, a great ground cover and provides fall color. The little red berries are prized by birds including mockingbirds and doves.

Turk's Cap

Three Turk's caps were added in the back garden. The migrating hummingbirds had found these plants within 5 minutes and were fighting over them.

Firebush

This Firebush was added for the hummingbirds as well.



4 comments:

  1. Those are all great plants that I enjoy as well. To feed your pink and blue cravings, try American Beauty for the hot pink berries, and Mahonia (Oregon Grape Holly) for it's bluish, purple berries. Both are favorites with wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea. I've always admired the hot pink berries on the American beauty bush and love those exotic, grape looking berries on the Mahonia. These plants should come with a warning - berries may disappear within 24 hrs of planting;)

      Delete
  2. We were talking at the WFC the other day about how fall flowers tend to be yellow and here you are reminding us of all that delicious red in the garden heralding the start of fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There seems to be red all around my garden from the blooms on the firespike, to the sages and salvias. The hummingbirds are getting quite the send off.

      Delete