Wednesday, August 1, 2012

If you plant it, they will come

Top Left to Right: Bottlebrush, Firecracker Fern. Bottom Left to Right: Coral Honeysuckle, Turk's Cap.

This morning I witnessed two hummingbirds fighting over the new blooms on the Bottlebrush bush. The purpose of planting this bush was to lure them in. Nice when you plan things for your garden and they actually work out. There has been an increase in the number of hummingbirds this year in my garden. I've never seen Ruby-Throated hummingbirds so early on in the season before migration. Not sure if the hot weather in the plains states has anything to do with it. It could be the increased number of hummingbird plants I've included in my garden this year. As much as I love pink and blue blooms, I try to include lots of red blooms for the hummers. In addition to the plants above, I've also seen them feeding on my Black and Blue sage/salvia.



They also love the Coral Vine I planted, along with the bees.



Are there any plants the hummingbirds tend to favor in your garden? 

For more information on attracting hummingbirds to your garden, please check out Hill Country Mysteries post on creating a hummingbird hotspot. 


4 comments:

  1. I have some of those plants. I just wish the hummers here wouldn't fight over everything.

    They are entertaining, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are constantly fighting over the feeder and plants in my yard. No wonder they have to stop and eat every 5 minutes;) They are fun to watch.

      Delete
  2. Your blooms look so good, the bottlebrush blooms are especially nice.

    We have a lot of hummers here this year. They love the Pride of Barbados too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley. We planted the Bottlebrush bush last summer and it has bloomed three times this year. I'm hoping it will bloom again in the fall. Ah, yes... The Pride of Barbados. Now if only I had more sun in my yard, I would definitely add this plant to my garden.

      Delete